Sunday, May 10, 2009

How corny!

I picked up a copy of Donna Hay's latest magazine last week. One of the features was about 'the English classic' corned beef. Until I came to New Zealand, I only came accross corned beef in a tin. I remember being invited to a friend's boxing day dinner the first year we were here. She told me they were doing a buffet of hot meats - turkey, lamb, ham and corned beef. I remember privately thinking that it was a strange combination to have tinned meat along with roast joints! She was of course refering to a joint of silverside. Corning apparently refers to the method of preserving the meat using 'corns' or grains of salt.

I loved corned beef hash as a child, but my mum's version was quite different to these rosti. They were a huge hit with The Family - even The Daughter enjoyed them, which is no small success I can assure you! I used the left over of a joint of silverside that The Husband had cooked earlier in the week. I guess that a tin would work ok too.

Corned Beef Hash
500g starchy potatoes, peeled & grated
250g corned beef
1 onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp mustard
2 tbsp olive oil
20g butter
Squeeze the grated potato to get rid of the water, and pat dry. Place the corned beef with an onion and mustard in a food processor, and whizz until shreaded. Mix well with the egg and grated potato.




Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan to a high heat. Cook 1/2 cupfuls of the mixture, pressing to flatten. Cook 4 minutes each side, or until golden and crisp.

0 comments:

Post a Comment