Thursday, April 23, 2009

Slow cooker does take out

My lovely mum came over from the UK for a month in January. She brought me Jamie's Ministry of Food which she'd found at a bargainous £12 in a bookstore near her home. As a huge Jamie fan, I'd been admiring the book from afar in Whitcoulls -but couldn't stretch to the $60+ (£25) so soon after Christmas. We tried a few things from the book while my mum was staying which she really enjoyed - so much that she bought a copy of the book when she went home!

Tonight's dinner was my first attempt at making my most favourite take out dinner myself - from scratch. And it was delish! ( I *may* have gone back for seconds...)

Chicken Korma
serves 4-6

800g skinless and boneless chicken thighs or breasts
2 medium onions
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas
Groundnut or vegetable oil
1 x 400ml tin of coconut milk
A small handful of flaked almonds, plus extra for serving
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon


Korma paste

2 teaspoon crushed garlic
2 teaspoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 green chillies (optional)
3 tbsp dessicated coconut
2 tbsp ground almonds

My slow cooker version:

Mix the korma paste in a small bowl. Mix in tin of coconut milk. Pour into the crockpot. Add all of the other ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with rice, and a dollop of natural yogurt on the side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment